Aloe vera is a plant that has proven its effect throughout the years. It’s been used internally and externally for various reasons. But is aloe vera good for oily skin?
The answer is yes, aloe vera is good for oily skin and there are many reasons why to use aloe vera gel if your skin produces excess oil and is acne-prone.
If your skin is oily, there is some great news: it will show the signs of aging slowly so you’ll have fewer wrinkles as compared to dry skin. But, the bad news is that too may develop blackheads, whiteheads, acne, and all sorts of skin irritation more easily. This happens particularly when the oil-producing sebaceous follicles produce more oil called sebum.
If you learn to manage the surplus production of sebum very well then you will have a smooth and glowing skin to be pleased with.
Excessive oily skin is hard to manage, but many home remedies work perfectly.
Aloe vera is among the best natural products for taking care of your oily skin.
Why is Aloe Vera Good for Oily Skin?
- Aloe vera has natural astringent properties to soak up excess oil and the impurities built up on the oily skin.
- The gel moisturizes and rejuvenates your skin without making it oily.
- Aloe vera is rich in antioxidants: vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E help nourish the skin.
- Plant hormones auxin and gibberellin have anti-inflammatory properties helping to heal scars created by acne in your oily skin.
How to Make Aloe Vera Gel at Home?
You can buy an organic aloe vera gel available in stores or prepare your own aloe vera gel at home. Commercially available aloe vera products can be good too but if you have sensitive skin, you have to be careful.
Making Aloe Vera Gel at home and using it is one of the best ways to treat your oily skin. You can do it as follows:
- Wash and clean a freshly cut aloe vera leaf.
- Split the leaf vertically with a sharp knife
- Scrape the translucent gel from the center of a leaf carefully.
- Put the gel immediately in a jar to avoid oxidation.
- Open the jar remove the amount of gel to need for use and seal the jar again to protect it for further use.
- If to do not have the possibility to get fresh aloe vera gel then to can buy aloe vera gel from some good brands which do not have harmful chemicals.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Oily Skin?
Aloe vera gel in its pure form and combined with many other natural ingredients can significantly improve your oily skin problems.
Aloe Vera Gel
- Wash your face with warm water and dab it dry with a towel
- Apply the freshly extracted aloe vera gel or purchased aloe vera gel on your face and neck
- Leave it there for 30 minutes before washing it off with warm water
- Do this every morning and evening
- Repeat the procedure every day
Aloe Vera with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has the capacity to remove oil from the skin pores. Your oily skin will become smooth and clear with the use of aloe vera and tea tree oil together
- Take a tablespoon of aloe vera gel and put it in a bowl
- Add 5 drops of tea tree oil and mix it with the gel
- Wash to face with warm water and dry it with a towel
- Apply this mixture on your face and neck.
This will not only remove excess oil from your skin but will also keep your skin moisturized. Use it daily.
Aloe Vera with Cucumber
Cucumber moisturizes your skin and keeps it hydrated.
- Grate a small cucumber and extract its juice by squeezing the grated cucumber.
- Add 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- Mix well and apply on your face and neck
- Leave it for an hour
- Remove the facial with warm water
- Do it daily
Aloe Vera with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a very effective natural astringent. It also contains a high amount of Vitamin C which is good for nourishing your skin.
- Squeeze the juice out of 1 lemon in a bowel
- Add 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix well
- Wash your face with warm water and put the mixture on your face
- Now apply fresh aloe vera gel alone
- Keep it for 30 minutes before washing it out with warm water.
Aloe Vera with Yoghurt
Yogurt is antibacterial; it contains lactic acid which removes excess oil, dead skin, dirt, and other impurities efficiently. Yogurt with aloe vera gel makes a great combination to make your oily skin normal.
- Add the same amount of aloe vera gel and yogurt in a bowl. One tablespoon of each should be ok for one application.
- Mix them well together to make a consistent paste
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck
- Leave it there for 30 minutes
- Wash your face with warm water
- Apply twice a day
Aloe Vera with Honey
Honey is an excellent moisturizer with oil-absorbing capabilities. It absorbs the excess oil from the skin surface and keeps the skin hydrated.
- Mix equal quantities of aloe vera gel and honey in a bowl. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more aloe vera.
- Apply the mixture on your face for 30 minutes
- Remove the mask with warm water
- Pat the skin dry using a towel
- Do it every other day for best results to clean your oily skin
Aloe Vera with Oats
Oatmeal is very good for cleansing oily skin. The saponins in oats remove excess sebum and other impurities as well as dead skin.
- Soak 2-3 tablespoons oats with a 5 mm thick layer of water in a cup overnight.
- Add 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix it well.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck with gentle massage
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
Here are some other frequently asked questions related to the application of aloe vera.
Can I Apply Aloe Vera Gel On Face Overnight?
Applying pure aloe vera gel generously onto your face using it to clean your skin, you’ll be boosting the blood flow in your skin and getting rid of harmful bacteria. You can also treat your acne breakout areas leaving the aloe on overnight, and wash it off in the morning. It will help reduce redness and irritation.
Is Aloe Vera Gel Good For Oily Skin In Winter?
Aloe vera contains Vitamin C, E, and beta-carotene, which does not only help in nourishing but also aids in anti-aging. It is perfect for dehydrated skin which is common during winter.
Even oily skin can be dehydrated due to the harsh weather conditions and change of temperature (when your skin has to face changing from the warm temperature inside to the cold air outside again and again). Aloe vera gel moisturizes the skin without making it greasy, which is perfect for people with oily skin.
Can Aloe Vera Clear Dark Spots?
Aloe vera can help improve dark spots and pigmentation occurring as an accompanying aging sign. There is a special mixture to can prepare using a fresh aloe vera gel and other ingredients.
- Take the gel from an aloe vera leaf
- And a bit of freshly grated cucumber, lemon juice, and 1 tsp of sandalwood powder
- Apply the mixture on the skin and let it dry.
- Wash off with cold water and pat dry.
What other benefits does aloe vera have?
Aloe gel, according to webmd, might provide some changes in the skin that can help diseases like psoriasis.
There are certain properties of aloe vera gel that are harmful to certain types of bacteria and fungi.
Aloe has been used as a treatment for burns; it speeds up wound healing by improving blood circulation through the area and preventing cell death around a wound. You can find out about the effects of aloe vera on skin affected by the exposure to heat, the so-called hot skin syndrome in my article here.