It’s getting more and more popular for teenagers to use anti-aging creams or serums, inspired by teenage influencers on Instagram or YouTube. But the question is: Can a teenager use anti-aging cream? Is it safe for them?
There are two different opinions on this topic.
The first one, which is mainly the teenage youtubers and instagramers promoting their use of anti-aging creams with retinol, AHA or hyaluronic acid, swear by their effects.
They claim their flawless skin is a result of those skincare products.
Other people say that using anti-aging products at such early age is not only waste of money but can also cause damage to your skin as these creams are designed for women 40+ or even 50+.
Where is the truth?
It Depends On Your Skin Type
If you have oily, acne-prone skin, I wouldn’t recommend putting any rich and heavy anti-aging creams on. It might clog your pores and cause more damage than benefit.
If your skin is rather dry, a rich cream designed for aging skin, which naturally drying from the inside might help you fight with the dryness but even then I would rather go for a moisturizer.
What Is The Best Way To Preserve Youth
The best way to preserve and maintain your youth is to follow the „common-sense“ steps:
1) getting enough sleep (7 to 8 hours minimum). Long party nights are nothing good for your skin, especially in combination with alcohol. Your body will manage, but if you are concerned of preserving your youth, you should not do it too often.
2) making a habit of sleeping on your back. Sleeping on your side or belly causes creasing and appearance of wrinkles. There are even special tools to help you with that, like a pillow wedge.
3) eating a diet full of nutrients that are good for the skin. Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc, collagen, all the vitamins B. You don’t need to be an expert in nutrition, just remember that fruits and vegetables contain all good stuff that is always good for your body. If you have a problem eating enough nutritious food, you can always use some high quality supplements.
4) eating healthy fats. Nuts and seeds are a great source of healthy fats (plus proteins and fiber). They will make your skin more plump and shiny. Another great thing is adding omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. Not only will it help make your skin look more healthy but also support brain function so your might find out that you learn much easier.
5) exercising. I’ve seen so many women aged 40+ or 501 who have almost wrinkle-less skin because they do jogging, go for long walks, do biking trips often etc. I personally believe the magic behind JLo’s amazing look is also that she exercises a lot.
6) using a good moisturizer on your skin. If your skin gets dry during the day, you should reapply it. Never let the skin dry. Keeping it hydrated is very important because when the skin is dry, wrinkles start occurring. Skincare products with jojoba oil, argan oil, aloe vera and matrixyl help preserve the moisture in your skin.
7) using sunscreen to prevent wrinkles. The damage caused to your face by sun is hard to repair so be sure you always put a sunscreen on your face, neck and arms even on a cloudy day. And also in winter.
8) doing things that make you happy. This might sound irrelevant to skin, but when we are happy, we shine and glow and look younger, energetic. Being happy in life makes a big part of preserving the youthful look till late age.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use anti-aging cream at 14?
You can, but it is totally unnecessary and waste of money. Your skin is still full of collagen and elastin, the proteins that make skin look plump and youthful. There is a natural decrease in these proteins in our body with age, but this doesn’t start before 25 years of age.
The same counts for hyaluronic acid. There is no need to use any anti-aging ingredients promoting collagen. No need to add hyaluronic acid serum to your skincare routine either. Just moisturize.
There is also a chance that heavy creams can cause a breakout, if your skin is acne-prone, or you might get your pores clogged.
What is the right age to start using anti aging products?
Some people say that your skin gets used to certain ingredients and they stop working then. However, I don’t think that it’s true.
Studies show that around the age of 25 the major structural components of skin, i.e. collagen and elastin start decrease gradually. So if you start by the age of 25, you can prevent early signs of aging.
My mother has been using anti-aging and anti-wrinkle creams all of her life since she was about 20 as she suffers from extremely dry skin.
She is 79 now and looks much younger. She doesn’t have many wrinkles, definitely not what women of her age usually have.
I believe it all depends on your skin type, genes and life style. People with dry skin are more prone to forming wrinkles so they need to start taking care of their skin seriously at the age of 20 already. Excess sun exposure and poor diet also increase the chance of premature aging.
Anti-aging creams often do not differ much from the regular moisturizing creams. Cosmetic companies just use ingredients that are proven to reduce wrinkles, which means that whether you use a moisturizer or an anti-aging cream your skin gets the same mixture of active ingredients.
Nada Elbuluk, MD, a certified dermatologist and assistant professor of dermatology says:
“It’s never too early to start taking care of your skin.” She recommends that women in their 20s use a moisturizer with SPF 30 every morning, and also suggests using an anti-aging treatment, such as retinoid or antioxidants, as long as it doesn’t cause any irritation.
You can start using anti-aging cream even if you are still 20, if you have a feeling that your skin is losing elasticity and firmness. There is one thing you can be sure of – your skin won’t “get used” to the creams you are using. If it needs nourishment and strengthening, give it what’s necessary – the age doesn’t matter.
Can I use anti aging products at 18?
Yes, you can but more than worrying about aging, you should take care of your skin focusing on choosing what is really good and suitable for your skin type. Using quality skincare products that are suitable for your skin can prevent wrinkles.
Stay away from using a peeling too often as it may irritate your skin. An aloe vera cleansing gel, for instance, is a much better option as it is gentle to your skin and there is not a big probability of breakouts.
Is it true that your skin gets used to the ingredients and they don’t work then when you get older?
There is no research behind this claim. As I showed on the case of my mother, and I have the same experience with my own facial skin, using creams with active ingredients since the age of 20 or 25 does only do good to your skin.
It is just like food. Your body needs all the nutrients to work best. Every single day. If you eat high-quality food, it won’t stop showing effects on your skin. On the contrary, the sooner you start, the better results you might see on your skin and body.
Same with good skincare.
Conclusion – Can A Teenager Use Anti-Aging Cream?
The answer to the question is yes. It is a common misconception that you don’t need to use anti-aging or anti-wrinkles creams unless you have wrinkles or fine lines. The truth is that it is very hard to get rid of existing deep wrinkles. It is too late to reverse the damage.
It is much easier to prevent wrinkles by using anti-aging creams, starting at about 20 years of age, but it really depends on the skin type. For someone, it might be 18, for someone 25. Active ingredients in the creams such as hyaluronic acid, retinol and vitamin E as well as moisturizing agents like matrixyl help you preserve the youthful look everybody longs for.